Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017

DJ: God, my family, the world, our doggies, Terry [his fish] and Gigi [Nellie's fish] and Pinky [Eddie's fish], and Midnight [Annie's fish who died a few days ago. We had to tell him that.] Okay I'm not thankful for Midnight. And our pigeons.

Eddie: Trains. Look, I have train numbers on my jammies. DJ, you're Douglas and I'm Donald [his trains].

Nellie: I'm thankful for books, wood to build fires, letters from cousins, computers and paper to write stories, birds, that God sent his son to earth to forgive us from our sins, and candles. And TV, so let's turn it back on! Just kidding. And leaves that change colors, and snow.

Annie: I'm thankful for my family, and my house and shelter, for the food that we have, that Jesus came to save us from our sins.

Me: I'm thankful for so much. But I think it's good to talk specifics. I'm thankful, always, every day, for Kevin's friendship, love, companionship, and support. He's the real deal. I'm thankful for our big, noisy and wild litter of children. I'm thankful it didn't work out when Kevin and I decided Eddie would be the last Wernet baby. I'm thankful I never have to worry about Mary Cate being baby-napped because she shrieks whenever anyone but me, Kevin, or Lesley look in her general direction. I'm thankful for the opportunity (that too often feels like a burden, but it really is an opportunity) to balance family and work--meaningful work that I love with colleagues whom I love. I'm thankful the kids are at LCS. I'm thankful for our families. I'm thankful that it's now and not 2014. That sounds weird, but it's true. I'm thankful that our little house sold this year and thankful to live here in Grand Ledge. I'm thankful that our cars are still kickin' (and not the bucket). Just thankful all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment