Sunday, August 18, 2013

(Not) Suzie Homemaker

As you recall, we live in John's house. We have three kids and three dogs. It's messy. I've found that having John home every few weeks is good motivation to at least pick up and wipe things down...lots of things. But he hasn't been back as much this summer, and as I mentioned in the earlier post, I was working (outside the home - let's face it, it's all work) every day for a few weeks there. Let's just say, things kind of...slipped. So Friday in some miraculous fury of energy, I picked up the house, scrubbed bathrooms, vacuumed, dusted, swept, sorted and organized the kids' collective 100 pairs of shoes, went grocery shopping, did all the laundry, and just generally achieved some level of order around here.

Kevin's response: Wait, is my dad coming home this weekend? [Me] I don't think so. Why, did you talk to him? [Kevin] No, I just wondered why you're cleaning so much.

Emily's response: Wow, it really is clean in here!

Nellie's response: Why are we cleaning so much? Is Papa John coming home? [Me] No, I don't think so. [Nellie] Well, I'm going to write him a letter and tell him that the house is clean, so he should come home soon.

Just for the record, I do clean! I like the house to be clean! And sometimes, it's clean even when there's no one else here to witness it. Okay, rarely, but it does happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment