Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Mom and the Beast(s)

With the release of Disney's live-action Beauty and the Beast around the corner, I've been thinking about how much I loved that movie when it first came out. I was ten, perfect for a coming-of-age movie. Surely I'm not alone in that. But I had a moment when I realized I no longer identify with Belle, lying in a field of flowers singing, "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can teeeeeelllllll." No, I am now the woman screeching, "I need six eggs!" surrounded by a bunch of children. This one right here.


 I mean, that is exactly the look I have on my face when I take the kids grocery shopping.

I'm not bemoaning the fact. That's the God-honest truth. I mean, seriously. Walking around singing about how much better she is than all the "little people" around her, rolling her eyes at the baker because he's too busy trying to do real work to listen to her talk about the book she just finished reading? That girl needed to grow up a little.

And let me tell you, if going to Meijer with five kids isn't an adventure, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment