Friday, November 27, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

 I love Thanksgiving--for lots of reasons, but especially the reminder to reflect on the year and just be grateful. This year, I found myself feeling extra thankful for all the things I always feel thankful for--family, friends, faith, a job and colleagues I love, a comfortable house. 

But a few new things made their way to the top of the list as well. For example, I'm really and truly thankful that we have health insurance! Broken leg + ambulance ride + broken leg + surgery + hospital stay = $$$$$$$. Grateful. I'm thankful for our local library, and how they let us check out an obscene number of books and DVDs on March 14, which we then had for months through quarantine. When they reopened, it became one of the very few places we took the kids. DJ developed a love of reading. Grateful. I'm thankful for the precious times we did get to see family, especially for Nellie's musical right before everything closed down. So grateful. I'm thankful for our families and the many families and friends at school who helped us through Nellie's injuries with meals, books, running errands, and everything else that helped us get through. Grateful. And the list goes on! Thank you, Lord, for strengthening us and holding our hands as we weathered all the events of this year.

We had a lovely first-ever Thanksgiving at home with the seven of us! Kevin and I ran 5K, then the day was full of the parade, football, Zoom calls and trivia with family, cooking, eating, Christmas music, board games, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and The Mandalorian. There were only a couple of minor setbacks--like when I took out the chicken broth but reached for the apple juice that someone had left out and accidentally invented apple turkey gravy. It wasn't terrible!

The gravy ingredients 😬
The turkey and my best helpers
The table
The post-dinner nap

The long-awaited launch of the Christmas lights

No comments:

Post a Comment