Saturday, March 26, 2011

No Fever? No Problem.

It would appear that Nellie is sick. My first (and really only) clue was that the great Nellie, Empress of Energy, was tired. Yawning every couple of minutes, "my toes are too tired from walking in here" tired. Otherwise, she seemed fine. Mom and Dad were here for dinner and Nellie was all smiles, games, stories, and director of ticket sales for an imaginary baseball game.

Well, the first thing I did was take her temperature, and sure enough, 100.1 degrees. She, Kevin, and Annie were all sound asleep on the pull-out bed watching Snow White before too long.

The funniest part was when I overheard Nellie pretending to take Annie's temperature. She read off a string of numbers then said, "See Annie, you're fine. Not sick." I laughed at the Wacyk-ness of it. I know for sure they got that from me and my childhood, when it didn't matter if you were throwing up, purple-with-polka-dots, or suffering from internal bleeding. If you didn't have a fever, you were perfectly fine. Not sick.

And, for the record, whatever you were complaining about in the first place could be cured by taking vitamin C, or rubbing vitamin C on it, as the case may be.

3 comments:

  1. Oh please, Mom, you're the daughter of a woman who told her son with a broken leg to "walk it off." Come to think of it, maybe it's a Tuinstra thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no. The vitamin C is a definite Wacyk (as in your father) thing. I spent plenty of days and nights on the couch cuddling sick and feverish children. And plenty of trips to the pediatrician investigating claims of pain. So I repeat: you exaggerate.

    ReplyDelete