Saturday, May 14, 2011

Thunder and lightning

Why are my kids not afraid of thunderstorms? Aren't all kids afraid of thunderstorms? I know I was...I'm pretty sure I climbed into bed with my parents as long as I could possibly get away with it. When I was too old for that, I would lay in bed listening to storms and think about all the terrible things that could happen, which were basically tornadoes and lightening striking the house and causing a fire. I remember telling a college roommate that one of the (several) reasons I was anxious to get married was so that I wouldn't have to sleep alone during storms.

So how is it that when I am looking at weather.com and Nellie sees thunderstorms in the forecast, she prances around yelling "yay! stormy night!" as if the circus was coming to town? It stormed all evening yesterday, and it was all very exciting for the girls. I have a vague memory of Kevin and I thinking through how to keep the girls from being afraid of storms, and apparently it worked (though I can't remember what we did.) Oh well, I guess it's a tiny parenting victory. Since we're in a phase of lots of public tantrums, potty training, preschooler attitude, etc., I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment