Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Skype

Our babysitter got married Friday and for some reason wanted to take this week off. So after driving to Kalamazoo for a classroom observation, I came home to relieve Kevin and had to Skype in to two hours worth of meetings. The first hour went pretty well--it was only my local boss and co-graduate assistants and Annie pretty much just sat with me. The second half when we met with the Berkeley group via Polycom, I wisely muted our end. Very wise. I listened to the meeting with one ear and to Nellie with the other. This is about how it went:

Wow, are you Skyping? Who are you talking to? Is that Miss Jerilynn? HI MISS JERILYNN! Is Zion [Jerilynn's 8-year-old son who is kind enough to play with Nellie sometimes] there? Is that Zion's daddy talking [actually Niral from California]? Is Zion's daddy there? Who is that lady talking? Did she just say hypothesis? I know that! That's from Sid the Science Kid! Who is that? Bob? Your boss? What does boss mean? Hi Bob!

At some point, there was this annoying tapping noise that I thought was the headboard banging against the wall. Eventually I realized it couldn't be that--it was a woodpecker! Darn thing moved to the other wall and I could see it out of the window. So I went to shoo it away and told Nellie to tell me what the group was saying. When I got back, she was yelling at the computer.

SORRY MISS JERILYNN, BUT MOMMY DIDN'T HEAR WHAT YOU SAID, SHE WENT TO GO YELL AT A WOODPECKER!

So, so thankful for that mute feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment