Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Year of Thanksgiving

I discovered the "activity log" feature on Facebook, which let me look back on some of the highlights from the past year. It also helped me remember how very much I have to be thankful for, even though overall it seemed like a pretty hard year. I actually remember pulling on to our street on the way home from the hospital with DJ, thinking, "how am I going to do this?" But somehow or another, we did it. We're here, we're happy, though a little disheveled.

Here are some things to remember:
  • DJ arrived late, but safe and sound. I sent the following message to our families on December 27th at 10:00 p.m.: "Here's the scoop - for those of you still awake tonight! We are scheduled to start induction at 9:00 am tomorrow. I will call at 6:45 to confirm whether or not there is actually space in labor and delivery. I'm feeling really nervous about it (maybe an understatement), and my doctor is willing to try some non-drug methods first so it could be a long day. At this point, there is also still hope that I could go into labor naturally before then - please pray for that!! But if I know you are praying through the whole night and day (not constantly - sleep!) then I will be more peaceful..."  They didn't know that immediately before I sent the message, I basically had an emotional meltdown. Anyway, I went into labor at 10:30. 
  • In the days, weeks, and months since, we've been showered with love and help from friends and family. For example, we enjoyed weeks of delicious meals from church friends. My dad painted the extra bedroom this fall so that we could (finally) give DJ his own room and enjoy a little more sleep and privacy. Kevin's parents babysit so I can go to class or we can go on an occasional date. And the list goes on.
  • We survived a Very Sick Winter, including a long weekend when both Kevin and I both had some flu or strep that had us near death. It's one of my biggest fears--both parents being sick--but we made it. Again, we depended on the help of family. My dad even left work in Flint early on Friday to drive us to the doctor, since we were both too sick to drive. Okay, I have to stop thinking about that. I think I had managed to block it out.
  • After a thankfully brief hiatus, DJ started taking a bottle again this spring.
  • We took two family vacations to John's, one over the 4th of July and one in October. I'm thankful because we have family in a very lovely and interesting place to visit, and because both trips were very nice relaxing oases in the middle of otherwise busy and relatively stressful times in our lives.
  • Lots of good things happened for family members, like Laurel's successful surgery, Dave graduating from grad school and getting a teaching job, and Emily graduating from college. Also, TWO new nieces to be welcomed this spring and a new brother-in-law to be welcomed...sometime TBD.
  • Annie made it through a scary concussion from falling from the counter to the ceramic tile floor. Some of the worst hours of my life we spent waking her up through the night praying she'd be okay in the morning...and she was.
  • After 8 solid months of studying, I took, survived, and passed my comprehensive exams!
  • There were other good work-related things...we presented at two different conferences this year, I got to travel to Philadelphia and Berkeley and it worked out to take DJ and Kevin/Mom, and our proposal to AERA was accepted so I get to go back to San Francisco in April!
  • Nellie got two scholarships, which sealed the deal in sending her to LCS. We don't have anything against Grand Ledge, but we do love Lansing Christian and her teacher, Mrs. Herwaldt.  
I knew a year ago that it was going to be a hard year, with extra studying, my first year of teaching, and a new baby. Looking back helped me remember some of the big and little ways we have been truly and greatly blessed. We are so thankful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment