Friday, August 5, 2016

Jamie takes a stand

So, I'm not exactly a committed feminist. And I don't often take a stand--I like to think it's just my middle-child-peacekeeper nature. But can we just talk about prodromal contractions for a minute? (I didn't know that phrase before now. I had to look it up.) You know, those slightly uncomfortable contractions that start at some point during pregnancy but aren't real labor?

Women have been experiencing them, assumably, since the beginning of time. They've been describing them to each other and their midwives or doctors for thousands of years. Older or experienced mothers have coached and mentored new mothers on the symptoms and meanings.

Then in 1872, Dr. John Braxton Hicks what, like, discovered them and now they're named after him? C'mon now, that's just annoying, right? Around these parts, we've taken to calling them "girl power contractions," dang it! I'm hoping it catches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment