Saturday, October 15, 2016

The beginning of the end

I had a mixed-up emotions kind of day. With Kevin out of town and Mary Cate turning 6 weeks old, I started the morning in that postpartum feeling of being "stuck." Having a newborn is (yes, snuggly and wonderful and amazing but also) just hard and makes things complicated. There are lots of things I need or want to do. Like get a gallon of milk, get my haircut, go to the eye doctor, and go shopping for some back-to-school-after-having-a-baby clothes. And I just don't see how any of that is going to happen. Leaving the house takes half a day. Also, FIVE KIDS. I know it doesn't last, that all of this will get much easier in a few months, but it seems like an awfully long time from now. Then again, this is the last time we'll be in this stage, which makes it more manageable.

It's also why, however, a short time after bemoaning the difficulty of life with a newborn, I found myself packing up maternity clothes with more than a few pangs of sadness. You wear the same favorite things so much when you're pregnant that certain items feel like old friends. It was a little surprising, actually. They're not even baby clothes or anything, and I didn't think I was the type to get too nostalgic about things like that. I love getting stuff out of the house! I guess that's what having your last baby is like, though--so glad it's the last of the hard stuff, so sad it's the last of the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment