Sunday, April 17, 2011

The day I bought a pregnancy test

was April 15th. I was growing increasingly suspicious that I might be pregnant, and I wanted to take the test before Kev got home from work. I figured it would give us something interesting to talk about on date night that night! So I had to take the girls with me to Rite-Aid, which is literally 30 seconds from our house so of course I thought it would be a quick trip. But I was too embarrassed to just buy pregnancy tests, so I dragged the girls around buying potato chips, new brushes, hair clips, and milk. During which my mom called, so I was trying to make light conversation about weekend plans while the girls pulled every sheet of hair ties, barrettes, and hair product off the shelves and put it in the basket. I put it all back, then picked up Annie kicking and crying because she didn't want to leave to aisle. When it came time to pick up the product I had actually come for, I grabbed the first one I saw because there was an employee standing there and I was afraid she was thinking I barely had control over the first two, the last thing I needed was a third (and I was afraid she might be right.) After deferring 100 more requests from Nellie about things she wanted, we made it out of the store and to the car, which took a long time because Annie insisted on walking and both girls had to hold something we had bought.

We got home. I took the test first thing, but of course the girls had to be rightbyme the whole time, so I ran water in the sink for them to play in. They splashed and fought while my heart pounded and hands shook.

"What's that?" Nellie asked, reaching for the pee stick sitting on the shelf. "Nothing," I replied. "Don't touch that."

Well Nellie, those two little blue lines are our future. Deep breath. Here we go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment