Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Poppy seed to lemon

At 14 weeks, the baby is now about the size of a lemon. So strange how the baby is always compared to some fruit or vegetable. We're safely in the second trimester, which has been quite a relief for me. I'm not sure why, but I've been particularly nervous about this pregnancy. Mainly, I felt so much better than I did with Nellie and Annie that I never really believed I was pregnant! Then with bated breath I heard that little heartbeat for the first time at 9 weeks, then again yesterday. Of course, there's also the fact that I already look about 5 months pregnant! Sigh.

So I'm feeling somewhat relieved, and the reality of a three-child family is starting to set in. But I know that the worrying never really stops! At first, it's that risky first trimester, then waiting for the ultrasound, then the anxiety of birth and actually getting the baby into the world. And then it's keeping an infant alive who is completely dependent on you, then keeping a toddler from running into the street, and watching for signs of all kinds of illnesses...and I'm not even a particularly anxious mother! Don't even get me started on the teen years--I've been studying recordings of 8th-grade algebra classrooms and I mostly find myself thinking, "how do I keep my children from becoming that?!" (So snarky!)

Anyway, the point is that the worrying never really stops. But it's nice to know that I can now drink a half cup of coffee or (gasp) a few sips of beer without causing any permanent damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment