Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sick Annie

Annie had the stomach flu yesterday and into the night. It was a sad, sad state of affairs. Kevin and I both think she'd never thrown up before, and it was a rude shock. She just looked bewildered for the entire 12-hour ordeal.

It was also the worst illness to strike one of our kids since Nellie had hand-foot-mouth at 18 months, so it was a rude shock to me, too. I did FOUR FULL loads of laundry just with towels, sheets, and pajamas. I was up almost all night between helping Annie and feeding and changing Donald (and, of course, being positive that I was getting sick myself. I wasn't.) I know this happens to all families, but it was a first for us. I don't presume to know much about what hell is like, but I imagine it's possible that you're eternally responsible for caring for people with the stomach flu.

Anyway, against my better judgement I let Annie and Nellie play in the sunny snow for awhile today, and Annie almost immediately fell asleep afterward. While sneaking out of her room at one point, I tripped and woke her up a little. She started moaning something and I listened, sure she was going to be sick again. But she was just singing her new favorite song I taught her this morning - Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes (Knees and Toes!). So I think we're in the clear, for now.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved your comment about what hell might be! I feel bad for all of you having to go through this especially with the new baby. I especially feel for Annie for not knowing what is going on. Hope the rest of you can stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goodness, we still get the shivers when we talk about the horrible stomach flu season that was '10-'11. sorry you went through that, and hopefully no one else gets it!

    ReplyDelete