Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Let it be known

Today--March 21st, 2012--was the second day of spring, and we played outside in bathing suits. Rather than feeling like winter (like it usually would in early spring), it's actually hard to believe it's not summer. In fact, it's rather disorienting. It seems like I should be done with class; it seems like campus should be empty; it seems like we should be headed to Pam's this weekend for barbeques, boating, and swimming.

At 5:30 today it was 85 degrees, and since our hoses aren't even hooked up yet, I took the kids to my parents' to play in the water table. I was barefoot in a sundress, the girls were in their suits, and we were HOT. The girls played for a long time, free from the oppression of the indoors, winter clothes, and the many, many, illnesses we faced in the last months. Donald waved his arms in the sun and breeze while Nellie and Annie turned the slide into a water slide and watered the daffodils and other flowers that are already blooming. When we got home I noticed that we're getting a little tan.

Okay, future self. Don't hate me. All I'm trying to say is that while you're depressed and bundling kids up in snow suits, you should remember the time Michigan cheated and had summer in March. And remember, spring always, always comes. It will be warm and green again. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment