Tuesday, December 22, 2015

A bit of excitement

Our first day of "vacation" yesterday was full of activity. Kevin's car needed some emergency service so we picked him up at the shop, then dropped off Nellie to a Star Wars birthday party. The other kids and I went to a great party at my mom's office. Then it was back to pick up Nellie at the movie theater, where all the kids had to go to the bathroom (in two separate trips, of course) and Nellie realized on her way out the door that she'd left her jacket in the theater.

We finally made it back to the van, only to find that it wouldn't start. I had a vague recollection that the low fuel light had come on right as we parked, and since I was parked nose down, I guess it couldn't get enough gas to start. This was a first!

Emily lives nearby but I couldn't reach her, and Kevin was at home without a car. Plus, I could see a gas station from where we were parked. So, I herded the four kids through the rain across the parking lot and across the street (at a busy Christmas-time mall) to the gas station. Where I learned that they don't sell gas cans.

Plan B. (C?)

I assessed the distance to Walmart and the likelihood of being able to carry Eddie there, and decided it was our best shot. But a man had overheard me asking about the gas can and asked if we needed help. I explained the predicament and he told us to sit tight, he'd drive to a nearby gas station to get the gas can. He bought the gas can, filled it (refusing payment) and let us pile in the backseat of the truck for a ride to the van. Don't worry Mom and Dad, his wife was with him, I noted the make, model, and license plate of the truck, and kept my cell phone in my hand! Broke all kinds of seatbelt and carseat rules, though.

The point is, we had rescuers! The kids' guesses as to his true identity: A Christmas angel, Santa Claus, Iron Man.

I learned two good lessons. One is that people are still kind, and I need to get better about looking for ways to pass on this kindness. I get so focused on my own little circle of neediness that I barely notice what's going on around us. Would I have paid attention to a mother and four kids huddled by a gas station trying to figure out what to do? Would I have held off on my plans for an extra hour?

And two, fill the tank when in gets down to a quarter, darn it! It's what my dad's been telling me for years, but come on, I'm a teacher, I know we learn best when we figure things out for ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking a good Christmas present from your dad would be a AAA membership.

    ReplyDelete