Saturday, February 9, 2019

Winter days, Part 3

Ice storm, day 1:
We did see this one coming with the forecast calling for an ice storm. It went much more smoothly than last week--I think we're finally in a groove when it comes to surprise days together at home. We stayed off the roads. I can't sleep past 5:15 when we get 25 texts and calls from two schools announcing school's cancelled, so I did laundry, sent work emails, and baked biscotti while the kids woke up slowly. We started writing valentines; Annie made a giraffe-themed valentine box and chocolate chip cookies. We did puzzles and finally watched the Antman DVD from the library that we rented before last week's storm. The kids had a Nerf war while I walked and walked and walked on the treadmill. There's nothing like the threat of being shot in the back to keep you moving!


I'll admit, I shamelessly gave in to Facebook's targeted marketing and bought DJ this puzzle.
It made for a good ice day activity, though!

Ice storm, day 2:
Okay, we did NOT see this one coming. We may never go back to school again, so homeschooling it is. These kids gotta learn something other than Nintendo and baking, although I'm pretty happy about the latter. I started my day making math worksheets for the big kids and baggies filled with paint (Pinterest) for Eddie to practice writing. We had math, Bible, and reading after a trip to the library. DJ discovered Dogman and he'll read for hours, which made for a quiet evening.


I learned quote a bit about our kids over the last couple of weeks.
For example, this one drinks coffee.
All these days off had me wondering--if I could go back and warn myself in early January, what would I even say? There were great parts. The slower pace had me drinking coffee and cuddling with Mary Cate while watching the snow and ice and wind out of the front window for lots of hours. Staying warm was an adventure, and the kids actually spent remarkably little time watching TV and playing video games. We got a few little projects done and ate a lot of delicious foods we learned how to make. But there was something about the nagging feeling that it was going to be that much harder to go back to real life that had all of us on edge. (And who didn't, at some point, subconsciously wonder if this was going to be our new life now?)

Now that it's all over--the snow days, hopefully, not winter--I'm just thankful for so much. For a job where, for the most part, I get to stay home when the kids are off school. That Kevin fixed the van so it has heat now. That we knew the storm was coming so we could stock up on groceries and not leave the house for four days straight. For a functioning furnace and wood fireplace. That when Mary Cate had a fever this week we had the second ice day. For kids who like to stay busy and play together even though we're noticing their increased independence. For the forced slow-down and time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment