Sunday, August 24, 2014

Kids give us a mirror for ourselves

Nellie is playing a game on the iPad, and DJ is sitting next to her talking nonstop. Nellie just told him, "DJ. I am feeling overwhelmed by the iPad right now. It is driving me crazy. I just need to think about this for a minute." DJ responded, "Okay, me too!"

I heard my own voice in Nellie's, but it said something like this: Children. I am feeling overwhelmed by [fill in the blank--writing this paper/making this dinner/calming this crying baby/fixing this broken thing/figuring out where this toddler can go potty/choosing the right grocery item/paying this bill] right now. And you are all talking to me at the same time. It is driving me crazy. I just need to think about this for a minute.

And that's how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment