Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Eddie and Mary Cate

These two are my near-constant companions since we go to school together every day. It's a lot of fun and they are just the sweetest together, most of the time. Here's a sampling.

In the car on the way to and from school, they like to be my "radio." Whenever I want to turn on something other than a Dora or Daniel Tiger DVDs, they insist I turn off the radio so they can sing. Mostly "Angels We Have Heard on High" in English and Spanish. I make a big show of turning the volume up when it's my "favorite song."

I commented one time that Eddie is like Mary's superhero because he helps her so much. One day, he hung her coat on a hook and Mary was just beside herself. "Mommy, it's so high up. He must be a superhero!" Eddie might take the job a little too seriously, though. He's taken to getting up in the middle of the night when she cries (which happens every night.) Usually, I'm halfway down the hall when I hear him scrambling out of bed, yelling, "I'm coming, Mary! It's okay!" 💗 I'm trying to coach him that it's okay, he can stay in bed and sleep.

Nearly every night, the two of them fall asleep in my bed while I grade papers or fold laundry. Last night, Eddie was falling asleep long before Mary-the-napper. She announced to me that Eddie was already sleeping. "No, I'm not," he replied. Knowingly, she nodded and whispered to him, "Just a really long blink, then?"

No comments:

Post a Comment